MENU

Holden announces more redundancies to secure long-term future in Australia

September 16, 2013 • News

Car manufacturer Holden has announced that it will be cutting more jobs as part of its restructuring process, while it waits to discuss the future of its operations with the new government.

Image credit: Flickr user Highway Patrol Images

Image credit: Flickr user Highway Patrol Images

According to the Herald Sun, Holden has not disclosed the number of redundancies that will take place, but says all the affected staff will be offered support, including career transition and financial counselling.

“It is never easy to make changes like these but we have to take these steps to protect Holden’s long-term future in Australia,” the company said in a statement.

Holden says it is doing everything it can to ensure that the company continues to have a strong future as a manufacturing centre, citing Australia as the most open and competitive automotive market in the world.

“Staying nimble in such a competitive marketplace is an ongoing process that demands our continued attention,” the company said.

“We have done some significant work in addressing the manufacturing side of our operations but must also work on the other areas of our business to be as efficient and effective as possible.”

The announcement of the job losses follows the 400 cuts which already took place in its Adelaide plant earlier this year and the 100 job losses from its Melbourne operations.

According to the Herald Sun the new redundancies are expected to centre on Melbourne where the car maker does most of its design and engineering work.

Holden is still waiting talk with the incoming Coalition government regarding financial support, although the party has already said that it will slash $500 million from overall assistance to the car industry.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

« »