A family-owned food manufacturing business from Brisbane has been named Premier of Queensland’s Exporter of the Year 2019.
Trisco Foods is owned by the Tristram family which has been manufacturing food and beverage products in Queensland since 1875.
“Congratulations to Trisco Foods for this win and for the success they have experienced in their business,” Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said.
“The Tristram family that owns the company has been producing food products in Queensland for more than 140 years.
“This is a deserved win for a family that is always innovating and always striving to provide high quality products and service to clients here and overseas.”
Trisco Foods produces world class food ingredients, such as syrups and flours, that are used here and abroad by leading food companies. It has a strong presence throughout the Asian region and has been exporting for many years. This year, Trisco Foods opened a factory in Colorado Springs to service demand in the United States.
The Premier said the company’s production and warehousing facility is located in Brisbane with many of the raw materials grown and processed locally.
“The first factory was a small building of two rooms attached to the rear of the family home in Hope Street, South Brisbane,” she said.
“From these humble beginnings the business has grown into a huge success story and we’re extremely proud of this Queensland business from Brisbane taking on the world.”
The Tristram family is well known among older Queenslanders as the name behind the soft drink with the marketing slogan, “Say Tristrams Please”. The brand and soft drink business were sold to Cadbury Schweppes in 1970 when the Trisco Foods company began and the family concentrated on the ingredients business.
Queensland has around 7,300 goods exporting companies of which 40 per cent are based in regional Queensland. In the 12 months to August 2019, the State’s merchandise exports were worth $87.4 billion – an increase of 13.8 per cent from the previous year.
There are 17 categories in the Premier of Queensland’s Export Awards 2019. The winners of the industry awards will be automatically entered into the Australian Export Awards, held in Canberra on 3 December 2019.
2019 Premier of Queensland’s Export Awards winners:
- Premier of Queensland’s Exporter of the Year: Trisco Foods
- Dermot McManus Award for Innovation: Clipchamp
- Tom Burns Award for Women in International Business: iVolve Industrial Technology
- Richard Joel Award for the Defence Industry: ImmersaView
- Agribusiness, Food and Beverages: Mort & Co
- Minerals, Energy and Related Services: International Mill Relines
- Creative Industries: Circa Contemporary Circus
- International Education and Training: Australian Language Schools
- Sustainability: ENVIROTECH EDUCATION
- E-Commerce: Knotwood
- Technology and Innovation: AKIPS
- Manufacturing and Advanced Materials: Alpha-H
- International Health: Trisco Foods
- Professional Services: Populous
- Small Business: Ryan Aerospace
- Regional Exporter: HeliMods
- Emerging Exporter: Natural Evolution
Image Credit: rgcmm.com.au